Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Charity Engine

 By Florida Bill

                                   While going through a stack of mail that had piled up over several days,  I was hit with the realization that almost every letter was a solicitation for a cash contribution from various organizations.  A wide variety of  persons, places and things are in dire need of assistance and I wondered how come they they are all zeroing in on me.
                        Maybe I am just one of the names and addresses taken from voting list or from the telephone directory, or whatever.  It is more likely that I made a contribution to someone in the past and my name was put on a list that was sold to others as a potential giver, and presto, I am really popular and the mail box is overflowing.  And if you ever make a political contribution, look out. You are marked for all time!!!
                        In this latest batch of mail, there were solicitations from several veterans' organizations,  churches and religious societies;  from children's homes and shelters, and from centers which provide meals to the needy, and animal protection groups.  Donation-inducing gifts of Easter cards and Xmas cards (often many months before the actual holiday) make for impressive big envelopes.  Stamps for return letters were included and in all cases the requests were drafted on attractive, colorful stationary.  Some of the letters contained sheets of return address labels and small personalized note pads, calendars, blankets, key chains and other goodies, along with requests for a response "within seven days." In one envelope, there was an actual dollar bill with an invitation to return it to the charity along with the "best and biggest" donation possible, but any amount whatever would be appreciated.  
                        Frankly, I do not have any knowledge about the organizations requesting money, but most look legitimate and some of the messages seeking help for the less fortunate tug at the heartstrings.  I dug down a bit and wrote some checks.  But the folks that keep an eye on charities and donating and such, the Charity Navigators, remind citizens to be careful.  There are some real scam artists out there. After the less-than-reputable charitable gurus award themselves six-figure incomes and motor about in Bentleys, there are only pennies on the dollar left for those orphans and earthquake victims.
                       This whole fund raising activity, with letters and emails, smacks of big business, but I had no idea just how big.  I decided to do a little research and try and get a handle on just what is going on. And hey, nickle and dime stuff,  it isn't.
                        According to the National Center for Charitable Statistics (NCSS) there are 1,521,052  non-profit charities registered in the United States.  If you have a particular activity which you feel passionate about, your donation can find a happy home.  And in 2014, charitable giving in the United States totaled $358 billion dollars, and 75 percent of that number came from individuals.  The average donation was $1,200 per year.  And state averages ranged from $2,516 per person per year in Utah to the bottom giver of $620 per year in West Virginia.
                         That is some huge giving by generous Americans, and for the record, it even dwarfs the  country's foreign aid.   In 2012, for example, $37.7 billion was doled out from that special bucket to about 25 countries with the largest amounts going to Iraq, Israel, Pakistan and Egypt.
                          On the domestic front, Americans' money flows largely to entities dealing with education, health, arts, culture and humanities; within those categories are veterans, religions and animal rescuers, along with a good many others.  Religion is the leading receptacle of gifts and charity, and researchers say that about $115 billion found its way to churches and religious societies in 2014.  Environment and animal concerns received $10.5 billion and arts, culture and humanities, $17.2 billion.
                           There are admonitions about giving, say the Charity experts.   No "knee jerk" generosity--give some thought to the charity and check into its operation.  Also, hang up on on the telephone solicitor who calls around dinner time.   Too many telemarketers get a credit card and a commitment out of the homeowner between  bites at supper.  In the end, only a few cents on the dollar wind up with the charity, and the rest lands in the pocket of the fund raiser and his aids.
                            Compensation paid to CEOs and presidents and financial directors of large charities sometimes top $500,000.  These sky high salaries are often the subject of criticism, but the administration of billion-dollar enterprises takes talent and dedication.  When the targeted charities receive 75 per cent or better of overall expenses, that is a pretty good guideline that the charity is on the up and up.  Face it, some administrative costs and salaries to full-time employees are part of any organization and cannot be avoided.
                             So, open your mail and make your contributions to charities. But if you want to feel  good about it,  make sure  the charities you choose to endow are deserving of your generosity. The lion's share of your largess should wind up with those who need your help, and not just provide happy times for the fund raisers.


                                                   xxx

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your research into the Charity Engine, Florida Bill. I too am daily inundated with a mailbox full of pleas from charitable organizations, religious orders, conservative political groups and candidates (the liberals know better) and veterans organizations, not to mention those dinnertime/anytime telephone calls. I'm amazed at my own generosity every year when I itemize my income-tax deductions to find that, including the weekly church envelope, I contribute far beyond the average American's annual donation cited by NCSS.

    So this year I have taken a new approach. My wife and I are now ailing senior citizens with no long-term health-care insurance, so savings are critical. I have therefore eliminated all political contributions (at least until the 2016 elections), minimized charitable contributions to those we've always covered because of personal links, and minimized donations to a handful of veterans organizations. Yet I feel a twinge of guilt with every envelope I dump into the recycle bin, all of them worthy causes.

    I realize that many of these solicitations result from the sale of mailing lists by and to legitimate organizations, and senior citizens are especially targeted,.so I rather resent that aspect of giving. But I am still morally obligated to help, even if I must cut back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your research into the Charity Engine, Florida Bill. I too am daily inundated with a mailbox full of pleas from charitable organizations, religious orders, conservative political groups and candidates (the liberals know better) and veterans organizations, not to mention those dinnertime/anytime telephone calls. I'm amazed at my own generosity every year when I itemize my income-tax deductions to find that, including the weekly church envelope, I contribute far beyond the average American's annual donation cited by NCSS.

    So this year I have taken a new approach. My wife and I are now ailing senior citizens with no long-term health-care insurance, so savings are critical. I have therefore eliminated all political contributions (at least until the 2016 elections), minimized charitable contributions to those we've always covered because of personal links, and minimized donations to a handful of veterans organizations. Yet I feel a twinge of guilt with every envelope I dump into the recycle bin, all of them worthy causes.

    I realize that many of these solicitations result from the sale of mailing lists by and to legitimate organizations, and senior citizens are especially targeted,.so I rather resent that aspect of giving. But I am still morally obligated to help, even if I must cut back.

    ReplyDelete